GAIL to set up 300-tonne biogas plant on Bengaluru outskirts

Rutuja Kedare Jan 05, 2023 0

GAIL Gas Limited (GGL), a central public sector undertaking, has received approval from the state government to set up a compressed biogas plant on an 18-acre BBMP (Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike) land at Mandur on the outskirts of Bengaluru.

GAIL Biogas plant in Bengaluru:

The BBMP has been tasked with supplying 300 tonnes of wet garbage on a daily basis, and it is expected to develop and maintain the plant at no cost.

The Urban Development Department (UDD) issued an order on Friday in the hopes of increasing the percentage of waste that the BBMP scientifically handles rather than simply dumping it in a landfill. Currently, the civic body processes fewer than half of the 4,500 tonnes of waste it generates each day. 

The BBMP will hand up 18 acres of land to GAIL Ltd for a term of 25 years in exchange for a guaranteed supply of organic wet waste, according to an order issued on the orders of Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai. The plant is expected to produce 10.7 tonnes of bio CNG every day, as well as 31.39 metric tonnes of manure and 180 m3 of fermented liquid organic waste. 

The total cost of the construction project is INR 65.11 crore. GAIL will shoulder 40% of the project costs, with the other 60% covered by a bank loan and an INR 8.25 crore subsidy from the central government’s waste-to-energy programme.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.