Following our introduction of ‘Artificial Intelligence in Construction‘, we shall now proceed with discussing the various AI technologies that are used in different construction phases, starting with BIM which is used during planning & designing.
Algorithms used by Artificial Intelligence (AI) reports every flaw on the construction site as it can identify different buildings by their structure, size and location.
The majority of technologies are integrated with each other in order to create a better process that is easier to understand. Machines such as drones and vehicles send digital photos to the AI which are then analyzed with 3D models, BIM, etc.
If we look at the construction industry and its application of Artificial intelligence, we can see that its uses are divided into four categories:
1. Planning and Designing
3. Project Management
BIM (Building Information Modeling) for Planning and Designing:
BIM is a 3D model-based process used by architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) experts in order to reduce design errors, reduce clash detection, improve the integration of design and construction phase and to enhance recycling.
The database represents the exact geometries, shapes, colors, textures, physical property, codes and other attributes of all building components. It portrays the connection between MEP(Mechanical, electrical and plumbing) and HVAC(Heating, Ventilation, and Air-Conditioning) systems of various structural components.
In a realistic construction pattern, the whole building project is first constructed visually to solve all possible installation problems, manage procedures and conflicts before starting the actual construction. As a result, mistakes are avoided as they can be detected at an early stage.
According to a report by Zion Market Research, the demand for Building Information Modeling was capitalized at almost USD 3.52 Billion in 2016 and is likely to cross almost USD 10.36 Billion by end of 2022.
BIM with Artificial Intelligence:
In order to plan and develop a building project, AI systems can collect and organize data. This is where the application of BIM becomes relevant. AI, drone images and the collected data can assist in creating models that can be compared with those made by BIM. This creates a chance to drastically decrease decision-making time.
The use of BIM with AI can also automate routine work and can run multiple calculations simultaneously. Such automated results will allow specialists to spend time on optimizing and planning their projects.
Similarly, the software also finds elements of a building for example windows, doors, slabs, stairs, and walls by applying their attributes such as usage, structures, and functions. Furthermore, it also predicts information such as the amount, expenses, schedules, materials and can analyze data based on the structure and ambience.
Significance of BIM in transforming the construction business landscape:
1. BIM is a powerful instrument that helps in the coordination of designers, contractors, project managers, investors and project clients.
2. Integrates all life cycle phases of the project.
3. Enhances creativity and innovation of architects, designers, and engineers.
4. Contractors are able to obtain benefits from model-centric planning and execution processes.
5. Benefits the facility management team by enabling data-driven operation.
6. Clients gain through the reduction in capital, operating cost and the delivery of a better asset.
For visualizing the building project in a virtual environment, BIM with AI has become the best instrument.
Some key players operating in the building information modeling market are Autodesk, Inc., BricsCAD, Beck Technology, Ltd., Nemetschek AG., Trimble Navigation Ltd., Synchro Software Ltd., Kreo, Dassault Systemes SA, and many more.
In the upcoming articles, we will keep our focus on other AI use cases in construction.
- Artificial Intelligence in construction. (2018, November 13). Retrieved from https://www.pbctoday.co.uk/news/planning-construction-news/artificial-intelligence-in-construction/48931/
- Saeed Reza Mohandes, & Hossein Omrany. (n.d.).Building Information Modeling In Construction Industry: Review Paper.
- Research, Z. M. (2019, July 12). Report: Building Information Modeling (BIM) Market Size Estimated to Reach USD 10.36 Billion by 2022. Retrieved from https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/07/12/1882000/0/en/Report-Building-Information-Modeling-BIM-Market-Size-Estimated-to-Reach-USD-10-36-Billion-by-2022.html
- Artificial Intelligence in Construction. (2018, September 27). Retrieved from https://www.e-zigurat.com/blog/en/artificial-intelligence-in-construction/
- BIM in the planning process. (0AD). Retrieved from http://www.totalbimconsulting.com/en/services/bim-in-the-planning-process